Main content of the website

Business Licenses

The Town of Vegreville’s Business License Bylaw 05-19 requires businesses to hold a valid Business License when conducting business within the boundaries of the Town of Vegreville. A business is defined under Business License Bylaw 05-19 as:  

  • A commercial, merchandising, marketing or industrial activity or undertaking that invoices for goods or services; 
  • A profession, trade, occupation, calling or employments; or  
  • An activity providing goods or services, whether or not for profit and however organized or formed, including a co-operative or association of persons. 

Business Licenses are valid from the date they are issued until December 31st of each year and must be renewed annually by February 28 if the business intends to continue operations in the Town of Vegreville. Please contact Planning and Development for more information.  

Business License Application  

Business License Cancelation  

Owner Permission Form

Resource organizations 

Some businesses need provincial or special licenses that may include examinations, bonding, zoning approvals, fire safety inspections, on-highway permits, trade qualifications, or trust provisions. New businesses should always check with the Province to ensure they have all required licenses and approvals before conducting business.  

Alberta Corporate Services Centre 
1101 Legislature Annex Building
9718 – 107 Street 
Edmonton AB, T5K 1E4
Phone: 780-415-6091 

Generally, people living in a residential area expect the residential character of the neighborhood and the visual amenities to be protected from intrusion by commercial business. However, under The Town of Vegreville Land Use Bylaw, The Town may allow a small-scale business operation as permitted or discretionary use, providing the regulations governing home occupations are met. 

Conditions that apply: 

  • No home occupation shall change the principal character or external appearance of the dwelling or accessory buildings involved. 
  • No more than 20% or 30 square meters of the dwelling shall be used for the home occupation. 
  • Outside business activity and storage of material, equipment, or goods in connection with a home occupation is prohibited. 
  • There may be no disturbance to the existing amenities, including no dust, noise, odor, smoke, or other nuisance. 

To determine your business classification and fee amount, please contact our Planning and Development department. 

Business License Transfer 


Resident Commercial Business  

$75 + $40 Fire inspection fee 

Non-resident Commercial Business  

$75/day or $300/year 

Non-Resident General Contractor  


Resident Seasonal Business (food trucks, yard maintenance, and snow removal only) 


Non-resident Seasonal Business (food trucks, yard maintenance, and snow removal only) 


Trade Show  

$100/event or $300/year 

Every Business License expires on December 31. All businesses operating within the Town of Vegreville must renew their license by February 28 of each year or a 15% penalty will be added to their license fee. 

  1. Develop a business plan. 
  2. Complete your market research. 
  3. Obtain financial commitments before you take on start-up costs. 
  4. If you intend to operate as a sole proprietor or partnership, register your business name with Corporate Registry. 
  5. Contact the Town of Vegreville’s Planning and Development department for appropriate licenses and permits at 780-632-6479. 
  6. Obtain the proper provincial/federal licenses. 
  7. Contact Canada Revenue Agency for information on corporate income tax and GST.  
  8. Obtain an employers account number for Employment Insurance and Canada Pension Plan deductions. 
  9. Register your company with the Workers Compensation Board. 
  10. If you employ five or more people, register with the Alberta Health Insurance Plan. 
  11. Obtain appropriate insurance, leases and other operating needs. 
  12. Ensure that you comply with the pertinent labor regulations by contacting the Employments Standards Branch of Alberta Human Resources and Employment. 
  13. Ensure all health regulations that relate to your business have been investigated. 
  14. Ensure that all environmental issues that affect your business have been investigated. 

You can contact us by emailing, by calling 780-632-6479, or by visiting us at the lower level of the Town Administration Building.