Town discontinues the School Resource Officer ProgramPosted on: Jan 14, 2020
At the regular council meeting on January 13, 2020, Town of Vegreville Council approved to discontinue the School Resource Officer Program. Mayor Tim MacPhee stated, “Council and I recognize the importance of the School Resource Officer Program, and it wasn’t an easy decision to make. But, with recent changes to Provincial funding, we need to be very mindful of where we spend our dollars.”
The Schools affected by this decision are:
- A L Horton Elementary School;
- Mundare School;
- St. Martin’s Catholic School;
- St. Mary’s Catholic School; and the
- Vegreville Composite High School.
The School Resource Officer Program will remain available to the Schools until December 31, 2020.
Each year, the School Resource Officer Program costs the Town of Vegreville approximately $99,000.
Additional information on the School Resouce Officer Program:
- The program is intended to provide a visible and positive image of law enforcement to youth.
- The School Resource Officer is often seen as a friend or mentor to students rather than a uniformed officer. Offering advice or guidance to students and can sometimes assist with instances of bullying.
- The program is committed to fostering partnerships among law enforcement, the school and the community. It helps to ensure safe school environments, successful students and productive citizens.
For more information please contact:
Kaleb Brink, Communications Coordinator
P: 780-632-2606 C: 780-603-8101